Re: [LUG] New member, USB probs

Kevin Boddrell wrote:
Here are the details of the USB problems with my laptop. very keen too get the mouse working as i detest using the touch pad!
Linux v7.3, kernel 2.4.18-3

RedHat ?

Logitech M-BD58 Mouseman optical dual sensor, wheel mouse.

Nice mouse :-D

I cannot seem to use the USB mouse and floppy drive, both work fine under Win2k. I have listed below what i see but need further help please to resolve this.
I see "alias usb-controller usb-uhci" in /etc/modules.conf
If i unplug/plug the mouse or floppy i see it disappear/reappear in the /proc/bus/usb/devices file. lsusb shows the devs as well.
If i cat /dev/input/mice and move the mouse i get lots of funny characters.

heh cat, mouse, geddit ?

cat /etc/sysconfig/mouse says "Generic - 2 Button mouse", this was what was selected at install time.
I have tried numerous suggested (from the web) entries in the /etc/X11/XF86Config file

in my /etc/X11/XF86config-4 (make sure you use the right file.. got me for days..) i have the following...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Section "Inputdevice"
                Identifier      "Mouse0"
                Driver          "mouse"
                Option          "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
                Option          "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
                Option          "Emulate3Buttons" "off"
                Option          "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

The mouse will not move in Gnome and the floppy doesnt mount, i must be honest i am unsure how to use the USB floppy with Linux, will find out when it works!!

HTH

Neil