Re: [LUG] Modems , also Lindows

keith lawford wrote:

I am looking to buy a ELSA Microoffice or a fun modem if at all possible. I have tried a Trust and its did not work well and turned my computer on when I turn the modem off. It also ran slowely. So if any one knows where I could get one I would be most greatful. I have tried e-bay but no luck. I am running Suse 8 and my mothers MicroOffice runs lovely, but I can hardly deprive her of her modem. I did try swopping the Trust but it would not load onto her machine.

In my experience I have always found it better to use an external modem connected via the com port. They are generally a bit more expensive but work overall lots better and require next to no CPU resource. They also configure really easy under Linux

A friend of my partners has purchased a Lindows machine, could the lug help him with technical matters, he has some knowledge of computing but not Linux.

We sure will try.

Keith Lawford