RE: [LUG] Blueyonder accounts...

Quoting Pete Hatton <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

A friend of mine had recently subscribed to the cable
internet service from blueyonder, after recieving many many
attepmted connction to his bootp port on his win98 box he
called them up and asked what was going on (he uses blackice)
It would appear as though they require to be able to access
particuar ports on his box..

Can anyone see a reason behind this ? I sure can't, i fan ISP
of mine did that i would be MOST disgruntled and do lots of
question asking till i got to the bottom of this.

If there is a good reason for this behavour, then i'll let
him know, if not i'll send him back to their tech ppl.

The IP address for the cable connection is assign using DHCP which IIRC
need ports 68 and 69 to be open (The network experts will correct me)

My connection here is assigned by DHCP, and once it has the IP, the
Iptables firewall kicks in.

68 is bootp and 69 is tftp.   Handy if you're setting up a server for a remote
diskless workstation to hang off but shouldn't be necessary for this
application.

Alex.