[LUG] Dial up on Mandrake 9.0

Hi all,

Has anyone managed to configure successfully a dial up connection to an ISP on
Mandrake 9.0?  I have just moved over from SuSE 8.0 and have tried to set my
connection to Vispa up creating and/or editing all the revelant files as root such
as /etc/ppp/peers/vispa, /etc/ppp/chat-vispa and /etc/ppp/chap-secrets (I know that
the authentication protocol is CHAP I managed to get that out of them) but no joy
the modem reacts and dials but drops the connection immediately.

I have followed a guide on Mandrake's website (can be found at
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/cppp.html) to the letter but still no luck
so can only assume that 1) there is a typo in the document 2) it's not relevant to
Mandrake 9.0 as it is a year old I think 3) there's a problem with my copy of
Mandrake 9! or 4) I need a combination of 'options' for /etc/pp/options that I
haven't come up with yet (and am not likely to either).  BTW I cannot get it to work
using KPPP or GNOMEPPP either.  And yes I do know my username, password, modem
init-string and dial-up No. and have typed them all in correctly to the best of my
knowledge.

This was never a problem with SuSE, for all it's flakiness (IMHO) it did get me
online with the connection wizard during installation and then Kinternet.

I am a relative novice with Linux and this is my first list post please don't shout
am desperate to get this working it's driving me mad!

Regards,

Simon Robinson