Re: [LUG] RH 8 impressions

On ke, loka?? 09, 2002 at 09:33:32 +0100, Alex Charrett wrote:
Please excuse the splice'n'dice.

Go ahead, messages should be edited to make responses look better.  :)

It installed Openoffice without my goddam permission! I HATE IT
It's there in the installer to unselect if you look.  I'm sure I saw it.

It should have a warning then. :)

But wait, it doesn't use the "nvidia" driver, that sucks. A lot.

Is the nvidia driver under a free licence?  I didn't think so.

Pine doesn't have a free license for bins, but RH run it. I am sure RH
run a lot of "non-free" software. It is no excuse imo.

Network configuration tool sucks. Doesn't apply my changes properly.
Had no problems like this.

I admit my network configuration is a little strange.

Firewall was a nice touch now I remember. Hell knows what eth card it
decided to use.

Update icon. Urgh. Spyware? I will have none of that.
Why do you assume it's spyware?

It checks for updates knowing what I have. Ok, not spyware per se, but I
like to do things manually.

Their admin tools are graphical, but not as clear and useful as
dpkg-reconfigure blah blah
I put money this is down to nothing more than familiarity.

You are most likely right here.

Screw that, I am going back to Debian! (And my KDE 3.1 Beta debs, with
tabbed Konq... sweeet)
Feel free, I hated debian :)

I do like the splash screen grub. But now I have found some debs for
that. Nah, Debian is still almighty.

-Kai