Re: [LUG] RH 8 impressions

Please excuse the splice'n'dice.

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 20:46, Kai Hendry wrote:

After my X annoyingly died after an upgrade to 4.2, along with some
niggly problems with fonts and what have you in Debian, I decided to try
Red Hat 8.

Here are some comments:

Installer, nice, but that info bunched up on the left hand side. Yuk.

Installer can't resize my partitions, have to shell out and use parted.
No way a novice could do that.

Choosing packages was ok, although not nearly as many as Debian. Better
than tasksel I admit.

It installed Openoffice without my goddam permission! I HATE IT

It's there in the installer to unselect if you look.  I'm sure I saw it.

X configuration is perfect. Thank god. Got my monitor and my nvidia
card.

But wait, it doesn't use the "nvidia" driver, that sucks. A lot.

Is the nvidia driver under a free licence?  I didn't think so.

Come to think of it the fonts look too anti-aliased. Like watching a tv
screen. No where near as clear as Win XP, OS X, or my debian
configuration. ;)

Seems fine sitting in front of a RH8 installation now.

Mozilla misses Freetype support by default. WTF. That is crap.

Network configuration tool sucks. Doesn't apply my changes properly.

Had no problems like this.

KDE and Gnome2 look the same. Odd.

Yeah that confused me too.

Update icon. Urgh. Spyware? I will have none of that.

Why do you assume it's spyware?

Their admin tools are graphical, but not as clear and useful as
dpkg-reconfigure blah blah

I put money this is down to nothing more than familiarity.

Screw that, I am going back to Debian! (And my KDE 3.1 Beta debs, with
tabbed Konq... sweeet)

Feel free, I hated debian :)

Alex.