Re: [LUG] Slow 3D acceleration with NVidia Vanta T64?

On Monday 30 September 2002 8:20 pm, David Johnson wrote:
Keith Abraham wrote:
Cheers David

Doing  ls -l /usr/lib/libGL.so* produces only:

lrwxrwxrwx        1 root         root                27 Sep 27 15:13
/usr/lib/libGL.so.1
-> GL/libGL.so.1.0.3123.nv_glx

So (apart from the permissions) it looks as if the libGL.so symlink
is missing.
Now I'm not too sure about symbolic links. Do I do:

ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so  /usr/libGL/libGL.so.1.0.3123.nv_glx

to create the link?

Keith

Nearly right, swap the two locations :-)

ln -s /usr/lib/GL/libGL.so.1.0.3123.nv_glx  /usr/lib/libGL.so

David.

I created the above symlink but no change in the FPS rate.
But....

2 observations.

(a) Running "gears" and using the Konsole window to almost
cover the gears graphic window shoots the FSP from 536 up to
1480 FPS. It seems that merely displaying the gears graphic
eats at the machine's resources. Is this normal or I am I correct
in believing that KDE is very resource hungry?

(b) Maximising the gears window drops the FSP to 100 as
expected. But there is a definite hiccup in the rotation of the
gears. (Maybe as the frame rate is written to the Kconsole
window?)

It's my 1st attempt at using 3D acceleration with Linux so
I'm not sure if all this is perfectly normal.

Keith
--
SuSE 8.0 Linux on 700Mhz AMD Duron/PCChips 810LMR
with 128MB RAM and 20GB Maxtor HD using KDE's Kmail