Re: [LUG] Fujitsu 20G Hard Drives

On Monday 30 September 2002 2:12 pm, Adrian Midgley wrote:
On Monday 30 September 2002 13:44, you wrote:
So I'm out in the cold! My machine manufacturer can do nothing
because I'm out of warranty and Fujitsu will do nothing because
they will only deal with the manufacturer of the machine.

To cut the story short as I am not the original purchaser of the
drive I have recourse to no one.

Was the drive originally supplied, or its replacement, of mechantable
quality?

From teh history of other drives of the same typ efailing in very large
numbers, I would venture to suggest it may not have been.

If it was not, IANAL, but it seems to me probable that whoever accepted
your money for it has a problem, which under the most inconvenient of
circumstances for them they might need to discuss with a Trading Standards
office.

They would I think under any circumstances be likely to take a similar view
with respect to their supplier, and so n all the way to the original
source, which may or may not be a company once or presently owned by
Fujitsu, a company with a good reputation which it may wish to protect, by,
for instance, doing moe to asist the end-users of its faulty drives than
might seem to be its obligation under the most strict and literal
interpetation of its various agreements and contracts, assuming that
comsumer protection or other law might not take a different and more
inconveniently strict view of it.

Decide how much effort £50 is worth, but there may well be a collaborative
effort going on.

I did mail the Register but only as a comment.
As you say £50 is hardly worth the effort but check I'll check
with the Register to see if there is some collabrative effort going
on.

Keith
--
SuSE 8.0 Linux on 700Mhz AMD Duron/PCChips 810LMR
with 128MB RAM and 20GB Maxtor HD using KDE's Kmail