Emulating IE Re: [LUG] Redhat 7.3 & Alcatel

Richard.Fuller1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

General query now ! My interest in Linux stems from the fact that I
use the internet to trade the financial markets. The trading platforms
I HAVE TO use are "W" and also "IE" specific........."W" and "IE"
being rather unstable products I run quite a risk of
"freezes"........are there any Linux programs that will emulate/fool
the Trading Platforms into thinking they are on "W" and "IE" but with
the better stability of Linux ??

Hmm well the best browser I've used for stability is Lynx, but
it isn't going to emulate IE6.

To be honest if they have coded heavily in Javascript, or used
IE specific software, you can't escape from Microsoft. The best
bet in such cases is probably to run a decent MS OS on the PC,
W2K was fairly solid, on certified hardware.

What sort of freezes? Whole PC or just the browser?

If the web sites are not that complex, then you can use Linux,
Konqueror is a good bet, and can be bullied into sending the
right string to claim to be IE, Opera is good as well and claims
to be IE by default IIRC, but Opera did lag in Java or
Javascript I forget which. Haven't braved Mozilla recently.