[LUG] Eurobell cable modem, and a couple of monkeys!

The guys from eurobell came round to install my nice new cable modem this
morning. Having anticipated they wouldnt understand that linux can cope with
dhcp as well as windows, I readied my laptop. They plugged the modem into the
already installed cable (they had cable tv last year in this house). No
problem. Thanks to some shifty moving on my part, I'd set my network card up
to dhcp. Plugged it in and it got an address from the modem, no problems. The
gain on the cable line was low so one of the engineers turned it up. Again, no
problem. Phone call to blueyonder with my MAC address and a renew the dhcp
lease and everything works.

Well, thats how it should have gone. unfortunatly I had the worlds slowest
computer operater constantly trying to install the modem (an ethernet device),
and ignoring my helpful hints (he was looking for the mac address, typed
ipconfig about 5 times before seeing it). Fortunatly he didnt install anything
or muck the computer up, although he went through add new hardware wizard a
few times.

The usual story of easy setup being complicated by msce's applied. I dont
think the broadband guy was an msce though, as he didnt once restart my
computer.

Still the entire torturous procedure only took 30 minutes. Setting up ipchains
on my router may take a little longer - but I've got the internet (and
assorted howto's) now.