Re: [LUG] linux in schools - terminal ... man

Mark Evans wrote:

It also matters if the possibility of running multiple
instances of the program was considered in the design.

When I was at the Met Office I was bashing people to build
shared libraries to keep memory usage down on multiple instances
being run together.

Alas a lot of their code was really poor on memory utilisation,
Fortran 77 had it's own issues in that area, and a lot was
written for IBM Fortran compilers that always saved results
statically. I was able to double the performance of some code,
by switching off such static allocation and explicitly coding it
where needed, but that was a thankless task - the lesson is to
write the code right first time!

Not sure how Applix did on that score, presumably ideally things
like dictionaries will be mapped into shared memory.

Such programming details often receive little attention except
when resources are tight.