Re: [LUG] UPS, reprise

mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
===== Original Message From Steve Marvell <steve@xxxxxxxx> =====

I was reading a rag with ups's in, and it said something like "to convert
watts to VA, multiply by 1.4". Is this a ploy to sell more expensive UPS's,

Most likely 1.414 or even SQRT(2).

if I remember correctly, Power (W) == Volts (V) * Amps (A)

It's the difference between the peak and RMS voltage of
sinewave AC.

peak power is 2* rms power ((sqrt(2)*Vrms)*(sqrt(2)*Irms))

(its a little number game stereo manufacturers use to sell there goods,
my little 20W(rms) per channel amp, is 40W(peak) per channel, is 80W(peak) total, if
it were in a shop, I'm sure it would have 80W on the box)

--Andy Weir-------------------------------------------------------------
| Electrical & Electronics Engineer     Work: andy.weir@xxxxxxxxxx     |
| AMIEE      IEE Member No. 8266908     Play: andy.weir@xxxxxxx        |
| (http://www.iee.org.uk)                                              |
| Linux                                    /      \                    |
| Registered User #272048                   _o_/   \                   |
| (http://counter.li.org)                  /  \    /\                  |
| Say no to software patents!           _____|_\@@                     |
| (http://petition.eurolinux.org)             @@@                      |