[LUG] MK Linux

Hello all DCLUG members.

Thanks for all the useful info regarding Linux on the Mac.

As my brother has mentioned it is the 6XXX & 5XXX series of Mac's that is the problem.

To cut cost Apple used some parts from the 68040 LC machines and married them to the PPC CPU, this proved its down fall. These were all none PCI units.

The LC used a 32 bit motherboard whilst the the PPC cpu is a 64 bit unit. This caused all sorts of slow operations. The main problem being in the transference of information from the memory chips to the processor. In a full PPC the operation is done in one pass. In the 6200 it takes four operations to complete this transference.
I could explain it but if you go to http://lowendmac.com/techx200.shtml it will explain it better than I can.

While not defined correctly, as the 6500 & 5500 were PCI Mac's and are well supported, the 6200 & 5200 are classified in the Mac circles as "road" Mac's. These are the Mac's in question MK are the only ones who have patched a kernel for the 6200 etc.

I will keep trying to get hold of a copy to join your world of delights.

Thanks again John.A.

P.S. I could of course change my computer but that would spoil all the fun.

Apple Macintosh Performa Power PC Model: 6200 75 MHz./ 500 HD / CD. 64 Mb Ram.

OS: 8.0 & 8.1 & 8.5 & 8.6 REAL PC Emulator: PC Dos 7.

Monitor: 14" Apple Audio / Video. Printer: Apple StyleWriter 2400

Zip Drive: Iomega 250 Mb. Jaz Drive: Iomega 2 Gb CD-RW: Yamaha 16-10-40.

Scanner: Umax Astra 1220S. External HD's: 18 Gb Analogic & 500 Mb Gasteiner Atari.

Modem: Global Village 56K. Speakers: Sony SR6 - PD87.