Re: [LUG] Help x not working

paul wrote:

Hi

I think I was using yast2 to configure my graphics card,  its the wizard
thing where you start to set up the mouse,  then eventually get to configure
the graphics card,  there is a section to enable 3d, for this card,  I tried
to tick yes,  also under the modules option I checked a few boxes to see if
one would work,  I was just trying to optimise it or get 3d working and
possibly the resolution switching working, however I can't find a simple
button or check box to enable the latter of these.

anyway the screen froze and I had to reset, now x won't work

Plucking the XF86Config.old file from etc/X11 should get you back to where you were before X broke.

Something is niggling me about banshee 3d didn't those cards use UTAH Glx under Xfree 3.3.6?
As opposed to 4.

As for resolution switching gentle tweaking of the XF86Config with a fave editor and the use of the 'xfine2' command should allow you to get the optimal settings.

What i did was manually edit the modeline entries for the resolutions a little at a time,then start X switch resolutions using xfine2 and sort out the geometry,the re-edit the modeline entries and repeat the process each time pushing the refresh rate higher.If a resolution fails to work then the modeline entry is a duffer reduce slightly and try again!

Both Yast2 and Sax2 tend to be over conservative especially since my frame rate in Unreal Tournament is capped by refresh rate limitations.

lee