Re: [LUG] Star Office, GPL licenses & Open Local Government ?

On Saturday 10 August 2002 13:27, you wrote:

Licencing it and positioning it as a collection of objects is not too
dissimilar from what MS did with their office suite I think, starting
around version 6 of Word.

Urm, I'd say totally dissimilar. That the technology is OO
underneath, it should surprise no one that these things come to
be objects, that is just what software looks like these days.

Yes, all I meant was that the collection of objects can be used in way
similar to those that MSO should be but rarely is.

So that business arguments and habits of integrating systems can be applied
to the open world without champions in companies and councils having to
reinvent them in detail.

MS are bad, and much of the development of thinking on licencing in software
and other areas is bad verging on execrable.
--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/