Re: [LUG] Star Office, GPL licenses & Open Local Government ?

Adrian Midgley wrote:

On Saturday 10 August 2002 10:54, you wrote:

No they licenced it under the lesser GPL.

They even have a licencing FAQ.

http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/main_faq_new_p4.html

Aha.  The confusion lessens, slightly.

Licencing it and positioning it as a collection of objects is not too
dissimilar from what MS did with their office suite I think, starting around
version 6 of Word.

Urm, I'd say totally dissimilar. That the technology is OO
underneath, it should surprise no one that these things come to
be objects, that is just what software looks like these days.
Even if programs don't look like objects underneath you can
always package them up that way.

Microsoft release gratis the programs to manipulate these
objects (on Microsoft operating systems only), but charge for
the licence to create them, or modify content, hence Word
viewers, and deliberately obfusicate the internal structure to
prevent immitations. Meaning no one can guarantee Microsoft
compatibility except through separate licencing deals with
Microsoft, and they wouldn't be so daft as to agree anything too
good for other people.

SUN release the code free, and deliberate licence to enforce
openness of underlying structures, meaning you will always be
able to write your own tools to manipulate OpenOffice documents,
if you so wish, no matter what value added features SUN
introduce into Star Office.

This is as stark a contrast as you can get in terms of
licencing, one locks you out, one guarantees you will never be
locked out. Unless we all decide to sell out to Microsoft, the
Microsoft route is a dead end, it effects a private monopoly on
the formats in use. Worse the encroaching copyright legislation
may well in effect if not intent, make it illegal to even try
and interoperate with the closed standard.

The proposed modification to UK Copyright law are hideous, DMCA
like monstrosity.

I think the fundemental problem is they assume that such
protection mechanisms will not add substantial costs to the
legitimate end user. Perhaps I should relate my experience of
enforced per seat licencing with a product from HP.

Technical measures for enforcement of copyright are not the
answer, if we believed those who said otherwise we'd have never
allowed the printing press, the Xerox machine, or recordable
audio tapes.