Re: [LUG] windows messenging bug

Paul Weaver wrote:

===== Original Message From "paul" <psutton@xxxxxxxxxxx> =====
Hi

just read on the register,  that there seems to be a security hole in
windows messenging,  something to do with applications talking to each
other,  aparently it's broke and can't be fixed,   but seems pretty serious,
part of the API,  I think.
I presume you mean about win32's api''s being irrepairably broken?

Why can't anyone precise this to save my browser....

Basically messaging between windows of different applications is
free and easy, and at least one popular Virus scanning program
is run as from a privileged account (Local System) and so you
get to be admin if you are sitting at the box.

The NSA won't like it (but they think cut and paste is an
aberration), but I don't think getting system access to a box
you have physical access to is a big deal, although that might
depend on what else in your network trusts your local system
account, hopefully nothing, and you use a different password for
each - right?!

Heck in the Microsoft hall of shame, this doesn't make the top
100.

Indeed I suspect other Windowing systems might be vulnerable to
this attack pattern - DCOP is your friend right?