RE: [LUG] g77 ?

Here is a helloworld in ANSI FORTRAN 77, your problem may be the number of
characters you have indented your code with ?? remember that the actual coding
must begin in the seventh column as the first six are reserved for comment and
line continuation notion, aghhhh punch cards ;)

Anyway try this, it works fine for me:

C Hello World in Fortran 77
C (Code MUST begin in 7th column)
     PROGRAM HELLOW
     WRITE(6,*) 'Hello World'
     END

There is another free FORTRAN compiler out there called f90, it also compiles
FORTRAN 90 funnily enough which is a much better implementation of FORTRAN
without the punch card conventions.
If you still have trouble post back.

Rich Smith

===== Original Message From Nick Kew <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> =====
Hey it is a while since I was paid to write Fortran 77 code, but
when I did my syntax checking was better than the compilers ;)

Yikes.  I used to be a regular Fortran hack back in the 80s,
but when I can't remember enough fortran to put together
a bloomin' format statement for HelloWorld, it shows how
quickly these things can go:-(

Can anyone confirm this by sending my a working hello world
program in Fortran, and a script of it being compiled and run
for comparison, or does it just not like F77 anymore.

No (see above), but if you want to send me yours, I'll
see what happens to it on my box, FWIW.

--
Nick Kew