Re: [LUG] Netscape and stuff

On Tuesday 30 Jul 2002 6:28 pm, Kai Hendry wrote:
On ti, heinä  30, 2002 at 04:41:52 +0100, Matthew Browning wrote:
I am aware that I *could* sniff the user agent in question and serve up
a different page for NS4.x but I don't really want to do that; after
Any suggestions would b valuable at this stage.

Do not support NS4. It has terrible CSS support, and numerous problems
all fixed in later versions. I am sure older versions of IE were just as
quirky, but you do not see people supporting those either.

Exactly - those who tried to support IE3, NS3, NS4 and IE4 are still having
nightmares.

NS3 is 100% better than NS4. The reverse being true for IE.

Just don't forget that many corporate machines are still running Win95 (not
even 98) and unless updated will also have IE3. Yuk!

There are a series of delicate bugs that can throw NS4. I have tried to cover
some of them at CodeHelp via the HTML Glossary. The only real way of solving
the problem is a moveable comment section - just comment out a couple of tags
at a time and test, test, test.

-Kai

p.s. http://archive.webstandards.org/upgrade/

What's this?
H4 {font: bold 18px/24px arial, helvetica, sans-serif; margin-top: 10px;
margin-bottom: 0;}

18px/24px??

And this?
<!-- More junk for Netscape 4 -->

That's not junk just for NS4 - that is essential HTML to close a nested tag.
You have two nested tables and you've only closed one at this point.

The final one is:
<link rel=StyleSheet href="/wsp.css" type="text/css" media=screen>
Probably not the source of the error in NS4 but not strictly correct. Should
be:
rel="stylesheet"
media="screen" - but this doesn't work well and particularly if you don't have
an alternative for printer etc.
Finally: the absolute URL may confuse. I know it shouldn't, but NS4 can be
idiosyncratic.

- --

Neil Williams
www.codehelp.co.uk