[LUG] Netscape and stuff

A few of you will know what I am talking about already:

I have put together a website that looks reasonably consistant across the platforms to which I have access. It is mainly text-based and complies entirely with the latest W3 standards (according to the W3).

However - hitting the site creates a bus error in versions of Netscape in the 4.x series on both Linux and, I am told, WinNT (Dr. Watson). This error occurs in 100% of cases.

I want this _not_ to happen and have done a reasonable amount of research into what causes it. The only suitable solution I can find is to link NS against a historic version of libc.

A message, however, along the lines of ``this site best viewed with browser statically linked to legacy C library'' running across the footer both offends my sensibilities and would surely raise some eyebrows.

I am aware that I *could* sniff the user agent in question and serve up a different page for NS4.x but I don't really want to do that; after all, what is valid markup supposed to be about? (rhetorical).

So - are there any whizz-kids out there who have had this problem in the past and might suggest what is causing it?

Any suggestions would b valuable at this stage.

[MB]

What has this got to do with Linux? Ummm, I'm running Linux, Netscape can run on Linux, the server is running Linux...