Re: [LUG] A bit OT - Networking/Security

On Monday 29 July 2002 21:03, you wrote:
On Mon, 2002-07-29 at 09:05, Simon Waters wrote:
Mark Harvey wrote:
Still need Outlook Express unfortunately.

That one I don't buy. What does it do that other mail clients
don't?

[Snip]

Not so much what it does, but it is what the my bosses (and the other
computer guy in the office ) use and are used to. Anything else involves a
learning curve and time is money!

Now your file interoperability issues, is that with Lotus or
with MS Office?

[Snip]

That is mainly MS Office, for sending files to clients and receiving
word/spreadsheet/database/powerpoint files from clients and info providers.
We do have access to one copy when necessary.

And a push by a couple of those in charge to 'get what everyone else has to
make life easier.' They don't want to learn about file formats, just click
and forget which leaves me the headache.

I know OOo can do most of it. More safely. Probably better. Sigh.

The best I can expect would be to have a Linux box as the gateway with a
firewall on it but I probably won't get that as 'if it's free, it can't be
any good - and there is no support.' (I know better - my machine has Kmail
for e-mail, OOo for Wordpro/Spreadsheet, MySQL for database. I rarely need to
boot into windoze other than for a few specific games and to update my
windoze antivirus software).

Never mind - I'll have to put my thought on paper to be ready for these
'independent technical advisors' now.

thanks to everyone for your help.

Mark Harvey
--
For information on Newquay and the surrounding area:
http://www.Newquay-Plus.co.uk