Re: [LUG] Why I Linux ...

Alex Charrett wrote:

I'd hardly call it whining, thats unecessarily harsh.  Isn't this as good
a place for discussing linux-related things as any?

I think it is constructive criticism.

Integration is a big issue, and is why I've said the GNOME/KDE
split is bad, in that it diverts away from a nicely integrated
desktop.

Still I think the Open Source movement is big enough to have
both now. The diversity is good for innovation in some ways.

All we need propose is a GUI installer protocol, which says give
me an Icon or a button, although I guess with diverse desktops
it could be challenging. I don't think you can expect developers
to develop for all desktops, so if there was one way to say
request an icon or file association.

Indeed I expect someone has done it already as it seems rather
obvious... go Google.