Re: [LUG] Why I hate Linux ...

On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 19:27, Mike Callaghan wrote:
<prob1>
I've installed OO under Windows and Linux. In Windows, all users can
access and run the program without problem. Under Linux & KDE, the user
that installed OO can access and run the program. Other users can access
it but can't run it.

OO pops a box that says "can't find /home/<name of user>/.sversionrc"

/home/<name of installer> contains said file.

Copying the file to user directory solves that problem.
</prob1>

If you run the installer like this ./installer /net It'll do a system
wide install, then each user just needs to install a few files in their
homedir for it.

<prob2>
Any decent Windows install routine will add an entry to the Start menu.
OO doesn't ... so that means manually configuring the menu.
</prob2>

One of the reasons for this in my experience is the number of desktop
environments/window managers available.  Getting an installer to be able
to cope with them all would be a pain.  Interestingly however, Star
Office 6 does add an icon for itself to the CDE bar when installed under
Solaris.

<prob3>
Windows proggies usually associate their extensions. OO doesn't. More
manual work.
</prob3>

I *think* this is to do with mime types (although I may be horribly
wrong).  It shouldn't be hard for the developers to have the installer
do this.  Also, should you install Open Office from a package provided
by your distribution it might do this.  Although I've not seen any
distros that come with OO yet.

So, yes things could be better.

Alex.