Re: [LUG] Using linux as a desktop OS

I have used linux as a desktop OS since a first foray with corel linux 1.0, my system has developed to accommodate linux, basically get the latest distro's and purchase build your system around Known working hardware!

case in point i have a handspring visor and 29quid buys a serial hotsync cable,it now works in jpilot.
digital camera dont work? No problem 2.4+ kernels work very well with usb media card read/writers 20quid later i now have a not so useless digitalcam!
Modems buy external with controller on serial port bingo!
Printers Postscript good! GDI bad :( unless say the offending printer has specific linux drivers hello Lexmark.
Graphics? anything Nvidia!
Scanners? if it is not in the driver list of SANE don't buy unless of course it states emphatically to have support for linux.
Sound cards? read soundblaster(tho this area of hardware support has come along tremendously)

Yes linux is viable as a desktop OS it just takes ALOT of tweaking and well researched hardware selection, windows only exists on my machine as a memory jogger when one of my clients needs walking thru setting up email/networking/hardware on their crappy shop bought PC's