Re: [LUG] off topic open source question

Adrian Midgley wrote:

On Friday 05 July 2002 21:32, you wrote:

On the same tack has the GPL and it's fellows ever been tested in an
English or Scots court?

I do not believe so, with some reliability but without having made a real
search for it.

I've not heard of it, but then I think it hasn't been tested in
the US courts.

The licence is pretty clear, most people have backed off testing
the main aspects when they speak with their lawyers.

The GPL is involved in one US case, urrently going on, and apart from that
FSF report all infrongements have been resolved by pointing out the error of
their ways to firms.

Which case, as I think the MySQL one is not really about GPL any
more.

I suspect the US version of the licence would be upheld in the
UK, copyright law is almost global now. No one in the
proprietary sofware industry is disputing an authors right to
copyright their own code - nor will they I suspect.