Re: [LUG] Have you tested your firewall?

Nick Kew wrote:

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Simon Waters wrote:

It would be run manually from here. I'll need to get permission
more formally, irritating as it may be Demon are very strict on
such things, and I really can't afford to lose the domain.

Really?  I've nmapped a colleague just because he asked me to.
Twice in fact: the first time the results were exactly what he
didn't want, so I repeated after he'd fixed it.

What I mean if they get a complaint they will mail postmaster
and suspend the account in 30 minutes if they don't get an
acceptable answer.

I really don't want to fiddling around wondering why the
Internet connection is down to call Demon and get told I've been
suspended because one of Theo's underlings picked up something
suspicious and reported it to security@xxxxxxxxx

If you can demonstrate quickly you have permission they are very
good about such things, but obviously they prefer not to be
bothered.

If you can break my webserver (other than by a DoS attack - which
would definitely not be appreciated), then I'd like to know before
some blackhat finds it.  Feel free to probe it, provided you let
me know if you come across anything that appears unintended.

And on the other hand a nice formal approach helps prevent me
breaking things when no one is around to fix them ;)