Re: [LUG] Email forwarding

On Thursday 04 Jul 2002 11:27 am, Kai Hendry wrote:
As I am trying to get my parents to switch painlessly to another email
address, I would like BT to setup a forward to the new email.  I have
emailed bti support and as usual no reply.

I'm considering a similar thing - the resurrection of an old email address
that has been spammed to death. I want to re-direct to a linux box (possibly
via fetchmail), run SpamAssassin and find the 1 in 4,000 non-spam messages.
There's no way that the old freebie ISP is going to co-operate. I've left the
account the requisite 90 days without connecting (and then some) but, as
expected, the account has not been deleted. (Instead it had collected >2,000
spam messages - something that should have at least raised an alert with the
ISP!)

Wouldn't it be great if all our "old" email addresses, pointed to the
current email we use?

Something that Linux should be ideally positioned to create, at least for some
users.

I think companies use this as an evil ploy to stick with their services.

Of course.

It is frankly anti-competitive, is it not? Should there not be
legislation to protect consumers from this behaviour?

Should, but this is the internet - it's not covered specifically by ANY
legislation, it's a hotch-potch of laws laid down when only paper documents
existed.

Well, I thought so. And I emailed oftel. And I think I got a stupid
reponse really.

Not that bad, it really isn't part of Oftel's remit. It's not really part of
any watchdog's remit, that's why Microsoft get away with being so controlling
and anti-competitive.

After trying to email Theo off-list, it's certainly possible. Works on the
basis of deny-all - similar to the best firewalls. All emails from
unrecognised addresses get bounced with a corresponding explanatory email.
This requires full control over the mail queue - hence the idea of fetchmail.

Theo - would that work? Would there be security problems with running
fetchmail alongside your scripts, perhaps once daily?

Does anyone else know much about SpamAssassin - is it Perl?

- --

Neil Williams
www.codehelp.co.uk
www.dclug.org.uk