Re: [LUG] more study required - RE: What I've found so far XML

On ti, kesä?? 18, 2002 at 10:28:42 +0100, Steve Marvell wrote:
On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 08:44:22PM +0100, Roland Tarver wrote:
Both XML and HTML mark up structure and information.
Can you show a simple eg of html marking up data plz?

<h1>Heading</h1>

So what's the main difference between XML and HTML? Have I just asked a
question that has a huge answer? or can you very _simple_ summarise it in a
paragraph?
XML is a scheme[1] of markeup, HTML is an application of another scheme
of markup (SGML).

HTML and XML are subsets of SGML. Latest moves by the w3c.org is to make
html standardised to xml. XHTML sorta means there is no difference
between XML and HTML now.

HTML is to XML as a WinZip (written in C++) is to Java.

Eh?

I guess so! :( Will you reccommend a good introductary book plz?

Spend your hours on w3c.org. There are good intros and slides there,
although I must admit, a bit of a bitch to navigate at times.

My site is a good example of XHTML:
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/hendry/content/tips.shtml

Feel free to use it as a template.

XHTML is really nice as it forces nice code layout. all tags must be
complete and in lower case for example. Older versions of HTML were less
strict.

Regards,
-Kai