Re:[LUG] Can't boot SuSE 8.0 form the HD

On Sunday 16 June 2002 22:12, lee quick wrote:
On Sunday 16 June 2002 18:20, Keith Abraham wrote:
Yes Lee it's now clearly a hardware problem.
Everythings OK for a while then the HD closes down and
the system hangs. It's either a HD or a mobo fault because if
everything is shut down for an hour the system boots up
cleanly.

Yup it sounds very much like a problem with the harddrive if i recall
correctly that particular series of drive uses a fluid bearing for acoustic
damping and they cause no end of problems.

Mobo is PCChips 810 LMR. I had a Fujitsu HD go down
last year which I replaced with another Fujitsu. Next time I'll
try a different manufacturer.

Pray for my poor wallet:-(

For budget IDE drives and from personal experience i heartily reccomend
the maxtor single platter Harddrives 20gb >= £57 not blistering performance
but rocksolid reliability i have built 10 or so machines using this type,
and have not had problems in the last 18months or so.

regards,

lee

Cheers Lee
Thanks for the info recommending Maxtor drives. I'll certainly
get a Maxtor if I get another crash.
For the moment I'll wait and see what happens to the Fujitsu
At present it seems stable. If it goes down permenantly I'll mail
you and you can add another Fujitsu to your list.

Funds are short at the moment (Wife has prior claim as usual) so
I hope it lasts a little longer.

Thanks again
Keith