Re:[LUG] Can't boot SuSE 8.0 form the HD

On Sunday 16 June 2002 18:20, Keith Abraham wrote:
Yes Lee it's now clearly a hardware problem.
Everythings OK for a while then the HD closes down and
the system hangs. It's either a HD or a mobo fault because if
everything is shut down for an hour the system boots up
cleanly.

Yup it sounds very much like a problem with the harddrive if i recall
correctly that particular series of drive uses a fluid bearing for acoustic
damping and they cause no end of problems.

Mobo is PCChips 810 LMR. I had a Fujitsu HD go down
last year which I replaced with another Fujitsu. Next time I'll
try a different manufacturer.

Pray for my poor wallet:-(

For budget IDE drives and from personal experience i heartily reccomend
the maxtor single platter Harddrives 20gb >= £57 not blistering performance
but rocksolid reliability i have built 10 or so machines using this type, and
have not had problems in the last 18months or so.

regards,

lee