Re: [LUG] Starting Debian

On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:

How might one start trying out Debian?

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/ would be a good start.

Heh, I was just going to post a very similar question.  I guess Aaron's
gloating about apt got us started...

Yeah I was going to ask about that, last I knew Aaron was a dedicated SuSE
user :)

What I specifically wanted to ask, though, is *why* might one try Debian?  In
short, what has Debian got over the Mandrake I know and love?  Anything apart
from apt-get?  Although admittedly the Mandrake Update is, to put it
politely, shite: at least, *I've* never got it working!  (anybody had more
luck?)

To be honest, pakage managent is usally the biggest difference between
distros, many are rpm based (Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSE) and Debian uses
dpkg, to which apt-get is a frontend.

Why else? Debian comes with exim installed (hooray) rather than sendmail
(boo his), but if you like nice desktops Mandrake is prob a best bet.

Personally I ran Debian for about a year on my laptop and ended up going
to back to Redhat.

Alex.

--
What goes "Pieces of seven! Pieces of seven!"?
A parroty error.