[LUG] SUSE8 routing woes

Well, almost.... The install of SuSE8 went well, *except* that there seems
to be some routing ugliness.

one machine says "Destination host unreachable" when I try to ping any
machine on the same network:
Ethereal (on the same machine) shows it apparently asking "who has
192.107.132.83 tell 192.107.132.79" (for example). But there's no response.

Yet another can't ping/retrieve HTML (DNS?) from a machine outside my
network.

Another one (!!) can ping SOME destinations, but not all. Needless to say,
all's well with a windows machine.

I have entered the DNS IP addresses from demon. The default gateway is the
address of the DSL router.

Any ideas, anyone?  I'm not (as far as I know) running bind.

Thanks,

S.