Re: dependancies (was Re: [LUG] Suse 8.0)

Yes there is... i use an application called RedCarpet from ximian.com,
wonderfull little tool. You basically say, install this.. it says hmm..
you need this, heres where i get it.. shall i get it for you... ?

Nice Toy...

Neil

On Sun, 2002-06-09 at 00:15, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:
   On Saturday 08 June 2002 13:59, you wrote:
   > On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:
   > > I guess it would be nice if there was a program that could search (and
   > > maybe even download and install) these libraries automatically for you;
   > > does anyone know if such a program is available?
   >
   > Debian's apt-get apparently auto-fetches dependancies.
   > The FreeBSD ports system does funky magic of some kind along thsoe lines
   > too.

   Yeah, yeah, stop gloating ;-)  I may look into using Debian at some point,
   but in the meantime is there anythink similar for RedHat and derivatives?

   > Finally - we could just use perl, CPAN as stantard, fetches and compiles
   > required dependancies when building perl modules. (but not unfortuately
   > some C libraries)

   Yeah, I've experienced that whilst installing the Interchange ecommerce
   suite, and very impressive it is too.  That's what we need for linux
   programs, something equally as slick that updates your system as necessary
   whilst installing itself.  I don't mind leaving a program to install for half
   an hour (even on my poor old 56K), so long as it does it by itself!

   Jon