Re: dependancies (was Re: [LUG] Suse 8.0)

On Saturday 08 June 2002 13:59, you wrote:
On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:
I guess it would be nice if there was a program that could search (and
maybe even download and install) these libraries automatically for you;
does anyone know if such a program is available?

Debian's apt-get apparently auto-fetches dependancies.
The FreeBSD ports system does funky magic of some kind along thsoe lines
too.

Yeah, yeah, stop gloating ;-)  I may look into using Debian at some point,
but in the meantime is there anythink similar for RedHat and derivatives?

Finally - we could just use perl, CPAN as stantard, fetches and compiles
required dependancies when building perl modules. (but not unfortuately
some C libraries)

Yeah, I've experienced that whilst installing the Interchange ecommerce
suite, and very impressive it is too.  That's what we need for linux
programs, something equally as slick that updates your system as necessary
whilst installing itself.  I don't mind leaving a program to install for half
an hour (even on my poor old 56K), so long as it does it by itself!

Jon