Re: [LUG] A bit bit off topic but has anybody heard of Pick databases?

On Tuesday 14 May 2002 10:56, Chris Edwards wrote:
has anybody heard of Pick databases?

Are they legacy, what are the good points and the disadvantages? Do they
require a *nix platform?

Oh my God! What memories!! I worked many, many years ago for McDonnell
Douglas (MDIS) on Pick. An assembly language was actually what was invented
but it was capable to use that language as the basis for an O/S. This was
actually done with the Reality systems, hence Pick, in effect, became an O/S.
The language was devised by Dick Pick, and geared towards databases. At the
time it worked really well and had quite a good performance spec (one of the
aspects I worked on). I mainly worked on transactional processing in the O/S,
and partly in the R&D section. It was, however, really boring!

At the Uni we run 'Universe' on one of our Sun systems, and as far as I
remember that is a Pick-based database system. I deal very little with it
though, and I don't think anyone uses it anymore (we have Oracle as well, so
I guess the users use that rather than Universe). As far as I remember Pick
was ported to several systems though. Whether it is still alive today I have
no idea, I would have thought that packages like Oracle/SQL would be used
instead.

John.
--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK            Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx