Re: [LUG] regexp?

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 07:52:21PM +0000, Adrian Midgley wrote:

File is a text file with some Ctrl D characters that appear as
separators in the middle of lines that have a textual qualifier
appended to the rubric of a Read Code (diagnostic or event code from
the national thesaurus).  In DOS they show as diamonds.  There are
also some IBM box-drawing characters.  Apart from that it seems to
be pure text.

so ...

the record separator is a newline (with a possible carriage return?)
the field separator is a Ctrl-D

So, it's no more than a csv file with a different separator? Unless
the fields are fixed width, that is.

Basically I think I'll hammer away at it until I have the right
digest coming out of it.

Do it with perl, you know you want to.

What are you converting to?

What is a good way to get data directly out of a .dbf file?  Is it easier to
find a dbview module or just read chunks the lenght of the sum of the field
lengths, starting after the header (which is 150 bytes i think)?

If you do to ..

http://search.cpan.org

and search, in Documentation, for "dbase" or "foxpro" or "dbf", you'll
find some.

Steve