[LUG] SuSE 8.0 Network changes

For anyone who is using SuSE 8.0 and hasn't noticed there
are some significant changes in network configuration:-

Network specific setting have moved from /etc/rc.config to
/etc/sysconfig/network
and
"ifconfig" and "route" have beeen replaced by "ip" and "iproute2."

See ref. manual Linux in the Network>Network Integration>Changes in
SuSE Linux 8.0.

I discovered this while trying to understand why I'm getting a quick
flash of the Kinternet icon in the top left corner as I log out and why
when I login I sometimes get nothing but the Kinternet icon and
can only proceed by right clicking it and quiting Kinternet.

Keith