Re: [LUG] Help required with Suse 7.3

Peter James wrote:

I've just installed a second HD which is recognised by the bios.
I've tried to install Suse 7.3 to it 4 times, without success.
YaSt2 apparently recognises the presence of the HD and formats and
partitions it as dev/hdb.
The installation proceeds to the point of writing lilo either to a
floppy or the mbr. If it writes lilo to a floppy the result is the system hangs and I have to re-boot. At
time of re-booting the screen is filled with the number 1 followed by
a screen full of 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10......................s
If I then use the Suse recovery disk it reports that there is not a valid copy of Linux Suse 7.3 installed.
If I try to write lilo to the mbr YaSt2 reports it can not write lilo
to dev/hda/windows.
Any advice much appreciated. TIA

Okey Dokey! Start the installation and choose to manually setup Hdb, First Partition approx 200mb ext2 primary at the start of the drive as Boot.
next do a Swap partition 500megs +
Then ( for a simple set-up) use the rest of the drive as the root Partition ResierFS(primary or extended)
obviously if you wish to split the root patition into Var Usr and Home sections then do so!

Then for the boot choose the MBR of Hda (i think the problem lies most likely here in that the floppy lilo was getting confused between Hda and Hdb! could not find the boot partition and chokes with a stream of 10101's

Hopefully the above works for you it did for me! Suse 7.3 and 8.0 dual boot XP with lilo to MBR hda and Linux on HDB 40gb maxtor split into two 18gb parts as md0 and md1 and combined as raid0.

Regards,

lee. Linux UT nut and compulsive installer upgrader!