Squid Question was RE: [LUG] Bind Question

Sorry it's a bit early... replace 'bind' with 'squid'
(dont know my name server from my web cache)

pookey@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi there,

I've just installed bind, and I dont think my web page
requests are going through bind,

a) is there a way to track where a page request goes to?

b) do I have to tell my system to use bind instead of my
internet connection,
   and if so how

Check you're /etc/resolv/conf.
You should have something like this in there:

nameserver 127.0.0.1

Also, check that your dialer isn't updating your resolv.conf on connect
(simply dial, and check that file). If it is, RTFM for your dailer.

You can see if it's querying your NS by putting in a silly URL, such as
google.com.net.org.gov and looking at your named logs (/var/log/syslog
in debian by default IIRC).

Good luck