Re: [LUG] ADSL again & thankyous

On Tuesday 30 April 2002 20:01, you wrote:

How does this relate to linux anyway ? Is anyone using adsl or isdn with
linux in the group ?

I use ISDN2 (Home Highway here, Business Highay in the Practice.)

I find it reliable.  At home we have had one outage, when the service light
went off.  Called it in and 10 minutes later the light came on)
At the Practice the connection is NHS Net BT/Syntegra, and has been reliable
as far as phone lines are concerned, and a moderately good ISP with rather
good virus/worm blocking.

The Practice has a stnadard Cisco 1603 router on it, so the fact that a
couple of Linux boxes are on the network wouldn't really signify, one of them
acts as Web proxy though for the rest of the networked machines.

At home the connection is with a terminal adapter, into which a Freesco 486
is plugged, treating it simply as a modem.  One day I'll rebuild that with a
faster serial card, but it goes OK.

So agian, that is really just a router.

My impression of ISDN from the POV of doctors who use it is that it has been
reliable, I wonder if there is a wider variety of kit plugged into
ISDN{e}/Highway boxes than you find on POTS connections, and that might cause
trouble, I also note that BT sells the Fritz! card as Speedway, so that you
have the troubles of the user's "modem" as well as their line, whcih I think
isn't so with POTS, usually.
--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/