Re: [LUG] SuSE 8.0 - Login doesn't start X

On Tuesday 30 April 2002 9:32 am, Simon Waters wrote:
Keith Abraham wrote:
Doing "init 3" is revealing. The log shows xdm shutting down.
I always thought I was using kdm? So perhaps xdm isn't configured
correctly. Under the old yast1 it was easy to switch from xdm to
kdm but where is can you do this in yast2?

By default SuSE used xdm, which starts the manager of choice, it
may have changed.

Since you can run these at the command line as root (
/etc/init.d/xdm start , /usr/init.d/xdm stop ) I suggest you
figure out first what you want it to do at start up and if it
works without errors.

Also check various log files (boot, syslog, and the XF86 log -
see /var/log).

My slightly older version of SuSE doesn't appear to have a
decent graphical run level editor, it has the KDE SysV-init, but
it is never convinced it is being run as root (Running X as root
goes against the basic instincts of most admins anyway).

yast2 doesn't provide an editor for the run levels either on my
box.

So perhaps it is time to understand how your system starts and
stops, it isn't rocket science, although annoyingly it isn't as
well thought out as SySV Unix either despite the name of the
editor.

Basically the rc5.d directory links back to /etc/init.d, using
numbers to specify the order of start up (or shutdown). "S" at
the start of a link name means start.

To save yourself from some of the horrors of text mode Yast2, you
could try editing /etc/rc.config and then running SuSEconfig to
implement any changes you make.  Check in particular the settings for
DISPLAYMANAGER.  This assumes things havn't changed radically from 7.3
to 8.0

Tony