Re: [LUG] Open Source Day

On Monday 22 Apr 2002 12:19 pm, David Barker wrote:
On Monday 22 Apr 2002 12:06 pm, Rich Smith wrote:
Hey all,
        As there seems to be alot of distro swapping going
off over the llist recently I suggest that anyone who has a
distro(s) that they think other people may like a copy of
should bring it along to the open source day, then we can
have a box(s) set up to burn cd's of various distro's
and/or serve them to ppl who brought along their laptops.
That way everyone will be able to go away with new new
distro's for free or the price of a cd :)

  I would suspect the SLUG would be able to set up the
box(s) for use (I have 3 that could be brought along)
although I haven't spoke to Nick or anyone else about it
yet, but I believe we are having a meeting on thursday (is
that right ?????)

it's on Friday I believe (nick cunningly timed it to be the day all third
years dissertations are due in - I'm still trying to think of a way of
inflicting great pain on him....)

I told a lie - it is thursday, the day before our disertation handins ...

I personally think it's a great idea and I know nick thinks it's not a bad
one either... xnet (the student controlled server) has enough free space
that we could probably mirror at least 4 or 5 distros along with other bits
and pieces like openoffice etc etc... I think xnet is connected at 100mbps
so it should be quick enough for our needs...(Nick knows more about xnet's
spec and free space)

We should have more than enough network ports for people with laptops & a
few cd burners to make a copies (or if people can tell us what they want
burning now we could get going before the event )

it just seems a pity to not be doing anything practical on the day and
making full use of JANET's facilities . . .

 Anyway if people like the idea then post back and I'm sure
it can be sorted out.

P.S. I spose other software like open office etc could be
brought along (obviously no piracy can take place !!) so
bring what you think others may like.