Re: [LUG] cross-platform/cross-machine clipboard?

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Adrian Midgley wrote:

I'd like an easy way to put something onto a clipboard on one machine, and
pick it off in another machine.

Subject to what security constraints?
 (1) Transfer over the 'net?
 (2) Internal transfer but with 'net-connected machines?
 (3) Firewalled (or unconnected) to the 'net?

mailslots are a solution (though one I've not applied) on the windows
platform, can that be applied acros  a samba network, or is a simple shared
file with a daemon syunchronising the displays every second a better answer?

A network file system will do fine if security isn't an issue.
That's a theme on which there are, of course, several variants.

If security is an issue, you'd want something designed to run over the
'net.  A frontend to scp, or a filemanager in a signed applet, could
fit the bill.

Or is this something named pipes are good for?

No, named pipes are local.

--
Nick Kew

Available for contract work - Programming, Unix, Networking, Markup, etc.