[LUG] cross-platform/cross-machine clipboard?

I'd like an easy way to put something onto a clipboard on one machine, and
pick it off in another machine.

mailslots are a solution (though one I've not applied) on the windows
platform, can that be applied acros  a samba network, or is a simple shared
file with a daemon syunchronising the displays every second a better answer?

Or is this something named pipes are good for?
--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/