Re: [LUG] secure ftp?

Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:

bind9 users report it crashing on portscans,
and writing over zone files.

I've never seen a BIND 9 crash - I know from changelogs that
assertion failures are possible, but I regard that as a design
decision, and I've never seen it.

Based on binds expoit history, the chances of
their being a remote root exploit in it within any one year is somethign
silly like 500% ;)

Urm - given the history 500% is ridiculous

BIND 8 last exploit was Jan 2001, BIND 9 has had no exploits.

Root exploit from a program running as named, in a chroot
environment?

How many lines of code are their in bind 9? how mnay are there in bind 8? how
many are there in djbdns? how much memory does 12.5k records take up once
loaded into memory with bind and djbdns? djb also offers a $500 dollar to
someone who finds an explot in djbdns, something which still has not been
claimed a few years later. It's never had a security problem.

I agree BIND 9 is big, it also implements all the current DNS
standards that is a reference implementations job.

Yeah, djb is a tosser [1] and i really don't like what i know of him or the
attitude he shows, but one good thing about him is the code he writes, it's
some of the best around, certianly very secure, compact, and maintainable.
The only other thing about djbdns is it's license, which is a bit odd, though
not a problem to anyone running it, just distributing it/changes.

And the pain involved to configure DJBDNS to conform to the
RFC's....

Can anyone claim that for bind?

The root name servers are doing okay ;)

I don't routinely manage any DNS servers that busy, but my
testing of BIND 9 showed no major issues.

Its still
only using 2mb ram a year later.   one copy of
tinydns i'm running is using under 2 mb of ram for 11,543 records.  it's also
a lot faster/non-cpu-intensive than BIND - how mnay lookups per second can
BIND handle, and how many secs CPU does it use for that?

Last benchmark I saw BIND 8 lookups are faster than the DJB
cache, because DJB opens a new socket everytime.

DJB serving component is faster, but hey if speed is the thing,
then MS DNS kicks ass and I don't think you'd want to run that.

--
"Don't get me started on intuitive. You know what's intuitive?
Fear of heights. Everything else we call intuitive, such as