Re: [LUG] python -> browser and X problem

Adrian Midgley wrote:

If you run a second GUI session on teh main box and monitor, then it would be
1:0  and so on, one day I shall understand how to run plain X across the
network,

Something like....
export DISPLAY=remotehostname:0.0
xterm

Of course the other end has to issue an xhost command to allow
it.

Or did you mean things like X management stuff?

so most likely this is running as the wrong user and you need to
use xhost to allow it

Sunds very plausible, so I tried to run Python as root - no problem, try
again and get
webbrowser.get().open('http://www.defoam.net')
netscape: locale `en_GB@xxxx' not supported by Xlib; trying `C'.
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Error: Can't open display: :0.0

Pox.
So is connection refused because it is an invalid magic cookie, or is the
connection the key thing?
Irritating, not terribly important, but irriating.

Okay xhost is naff, but here is an example, logged in as srw, I
become fen, and fail to start xterm.

Starting over, I allow Faye to connect to my local xserver using
xhost, then become Faye and start and xterm successfully.

Magic cookies were discovered to be not so magic when someone
found after many years that the random number generating code
was stuffed, and only a handful of cookies were generated on
many platforms :) I would trust this stuff with my personal
details but not my life....

$ su -
# su - fen
[fen@xxxxxx fen]$ xterm
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0

$ xhost +local:fen
non-network local connections being added to access control list
15:30:21 srw srw $ su -
# su - fen
$ xterm
Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged