Re: [LUG] python -> browser and X problem

Error: Can't open display: :0

One or the other ":0" is the name for the first local X server,
If you go twin-headed - Matrox G400 with two monitor outlets or two separate
video cards - then your displays are 0:0 and 0:1

If you run a second GUI session on teh main box and monitor, then it would be
1:0  and so on, one day I shall understand how to run plain X across the
network, but until then VNC is doing nicely - daughtr prefers to surf using
Opera on Linux over VNC rather than Opera on Win95 locally - maybe because
central is 1 GHz and local is 166  MHz processor.

so most likely this is running as the wrong user and you need to
use xhost to allow it

Sunds very plausible, so I tried to run Python as root - no problem, try
again and get
webbrowser.get().open('http://www.defoam.net')
netscape: locale `en_GB@xxxx' not supported by Xlib; trying `C'.
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Error: Can't open display: :0.0

Pox.
So is connection refused because it is an invalid magic cookie, or is the
connection the key thing?
Irritating, not terribly important, but irriating.
--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/