Re: [LUG] wget

On Tuesday 12 March 2002 7:36 am, Neil Stone wrote:
I am comming accross a wierdity using wget. I will typically type
the following...

$ wget -c ftp://ftp.someserver.net/path/to/file

at 1st all is ok, but then sometimes after stopping and re-starting
the file/server/wget gets an "unauthoritive" file size, usually
smaller than the current ammount of the file that i have. (eg 110MB
file, i have 50 MB it says 45 MB !!) wget then says that it will
still continue to download the file but the percentage meter reads
110%... 115% etc.etc..

Any deas what is goin' on ?

My guess is that the server is lying about the file size but not in a
way that wget expectes it to.  Wget attempts to work out if the server
reports the total size of the file after the REST command, or the
remaining size, then compensates accordingly and gives its own
(unauthoratitive) calculation of how much is left to download based on
this figure.

I shouldn't think this should be a problem provided the server is
restarting the download in the right place.

Try starting wget with debug output (-d) and see if there are any more
informative messages.

Tony