From: "kevin bailey" <kev.bailey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 9:27 PM
Subject: Re: [LUG] PC world AGAIN! - is this now going to be a good ol'
distro punch up!!!

well i'm getting in first!!!!  :o)

actually - i was going to write in anyway and say...

i just reinstalled debian due to a harddrive failure (IBM Deskstar - and
one's failed at work too) and it was very interesting.

i installed nothing from the install disk except the basic system - no X
servers - no compilers - no apps - nada - except the network card and
configured it to use my proxy server.  i think the whole install was
about 20/30MB

then switched the sources.list file to point at the woody distribution
on the debian servers.  this is one version up from my the version on my
CD and contains X version 4 and other goodies.

then selected masses of packages that i wanted on my system - came to
about 200MB.

finally left it downloading for a day or so.

result - a completely up to date distro with all the DB's webservers,
office apps that i need!!!

i know boxed apps come with manuals but i got the debian gnu/linux bible
for 30 quid - and that had a CD of debian inside the back cover.

i think the point i'm making is this - in our networked world, why buy a
distro of 6 CD's when that conains source code which might never be used
and apps which are already out of date.  simply install the basics - and
then download what ever software you want!!!

food for thought?

kev

Lee Quick wrote:
They may be free tools in the Redhat case but they have to
bundle it all up, and write a manual or two, and then they offer
you some free installation support....

I agree but both Suse7.3 pro and Mandrake 8.1 powerpack are 60notes
and RH7.2 pro retails at 120 ish there surely can't be that much
difference
between the three distro's can there?