Re: [LUG] Kppp and pppd - differences?

On 25-Feb-2002 at 10:27:14 Simon Waters wrote:
John Horne wrote:

I received instructions for my new ISP account on Friday,

Which ISP?

Fast24. (http://www.fast24.net/)

I got a connection, a response indicating the speed/protocols, and then
gibberish (it appears in the /var/log/messages file) - as expected from
a modem but what is usually interpreted by pppd.

First line or two of gibberish - a cut and paste of minicom
session might be useful.

That's on my home PC - I can get it if it will help, but without
'deciphering' what it sent it just looks like gibberish :-)

Any ideas anyone? As said I have kppp so basically I am happy; more
curious than anything.

PPP does look like gibberish, is it the authentication scheme,
as I think CHAP (and MS-CHAP) don't look like normal logins,
unlike PAP and other options.

It uses PAP. I told pppd and kpppd to use PAP only - both should be 'doing
the same thing' with respect to PAP/CHAP anyway.

John.